Monday, December 21

These Boots are Made for Walking

People have been asking me, "How are you training?"

Of course, cardiovascular training is imperative. But my theory finds roots from a trek years ago in the grand canyon. At that time, I was in impeccable cardiovascular shape. My fellow hiker was just that... a hiker. As we ascended the bone-jarring switchbacks, she needed frequent breaks to catch her breath, and I felt like I was doing great.... until the next day. Every joint in my body hurt, and I discovered muscles that I only learned about in anatomy class. My friend... she felt great. I learned then that my cardiovascular advantage proved little to prepare me for a strenuous hike. If you are going to swim, you should train by swimming. If you are going to hike up a mountain, you better get hiking...

Pittsburgh has the unique profile of steep urban hills requiring steps for commuters, lending a great training ground outside of the gym. This pic was taken while appreciating the view of the 'Burgh during step training.

Hiking at Kent Falls, CT...





1 comment:

  1. Jessica, Beautiful photography...wow! Thank you for posting them...nice boots too btw. Have they gotten comfy yet? Great blog! Keep on keeping on.....

    ReplyDelete